(MURDERDOLLS) BIG DAY OUT INTERVIEW
2003
Q: Broadcasting live from the Sydney Big Day Out. We are half way through our show, still to come chats with Janes Addiction, Xzibit and more, plus more amazing action from all the stages here. In fact, we are going to be filming the Murderdolls when they go on stage tonight, in one of them stages very very deep underground within this magnificent complex which is the Homebush stadium, here where the Big Day Out is. Now, yesterday you came on 'What You Want' and we talked about all kinds of stuff, one thing we didn't mention was the possibility of a next video. What song are you looking at releasing as your next single?
JOEY: Well, we gotta a song that we don't wanna talk about yet, that's just been exclusively done. You know, because the red tape and everything, but we're also going to be doing a live video, I believe for 'Die My Bride', that was shot actually in London on our last headlining tour that we did there. And it's going to be a live video, just all interaction with the fans and everything. It's like strictly live, no concept, just us and our fans, so it's turned out pretty cool.
Q: That sounds cool, ehh, what are the concepts that you would like to put into a video, that maybe you've been prevented from doing so by budget, or you know, good taste or whatever?
(WEDNESDAY'S expression at 'good taste or whatever!')
WEDNESDAY: Alright man, we pretty much did our first video exactly the way we wanted to, you know? Maybe a little bit more blood would have been cool, but uh...
JOEY: We like to shoot our video during night-time, so there is no sun involved.
WEDNESDAY: Yes. But, no, everyone's been pretty cool. I mean, a kind of a band like us, I think you pretty much know what you're gonna get out of it, so uh, the whole idea of the band is like they expect all this stuff. So we haven't really been limited in what we can do yet or anything, so...
Q: Okay, well you are about to perform very shortly, we should let you go and do that. We are going to film your set tonight, what do you reckon it's going to be one of the highlights of the set tonight? As far as I'm concerned, it's all stunning, stunning viewing...
WEDNESDAY: Thanks, man.
Q: But uh, you know, what is that one key song that sticks in your mind that people should look out for?
WEDNESDAY: Ummm, there's several - I mean at the beginning of the show, we kind of have different parts. In the middle with our 'The Devil Made Me Do It' song, which is a newer song that's not on the record.
Q: 'The Devil Made Me Do It' and 'I'll Do It Again', what motivated the writing of that song?
WEDNESDAY: Just a good kill your mom and dad type kind of song, and uh, I thought that was kind of lacking in music, can't anyone write a good song...
JOEY: 'Mom and Dad, I'm not sorry for putting bullets in your body'.
WEDNESDAY: Yeah, yeah, so uh...it's good poetry, and we thought it was time for a good kill your Mom and Dad song. And the very last song, which is also likely not on our album...
JOEY (says something very quickly about an umbrella)
Q: That's not on the album?
WEDNESDAY: Yeah. 'I Love To Say Fuck'
JOEY: We did just record it though recently.
Q: So, that's going to come out shortly?
WEDNESDAY: Yep
JOEY: Yeah.
Q: I look forward to that. Now, you guys do seem to be able to have a laugh, you know, about, you know, some of the songs and stuff, but your fans seem to take it pretty seriously though. Do you ever clash with your fans over it?
WEDNESDAY: No, no...I think some may take it out of context, but for the most part I think we get a lot of kids come up and tell us that they are really excited about a band like us, because it isn't so serious they don't have to dwell and be depressed, because we don't really encourage that, you know? We just sort of like...it's kind of like, you know, have a good time at our show. Don't really think about anything else outside of that. So uh, we really don't encourage people to be gothic, and doomey, and hide in a corner and be depressed you know. It's just go out and have a good time, and fuck everybody else.
Q: Good to hear. This sounds like good ethos to me. We are going to take a look at a song called 'Dead In Hollywood'. (To Joey) I'm just going to pass on that Dave Grohl thinks that you are the hottest drummer in the world...so, you know, I don't think he meant (?)…
(JOEY looks up, very surprised)
JOEY: That's quite a compliment...
Q: I think he meant, you know, 'damn good'. Look out for him, he might be calling you, 'Joey, come play drums for me sometime."


Comments
Post a Comment