TECH TALK WITH SLIPKNOT

Hit Parader Magazine
October 2006

It's "down-time" for Slipknot. Each member of this now-legendary Iowa based unit is taking a well earned break from the rigors of recording and touring with their platinum-selling crew. But don't for one second think that these masked metal miscreants are really kicking back; they all seem to have plenty on their agenda to keep them busy. For vocalist Corey Taylor and guitarist James Roots* their 'time off' is being dedicated to another project, the highly successful Stone Sour. Drummer Joey Jordison is using his vacation to produce Three Inches of Blood and perform with a string of intriguing bands - most notably Ministry. Percussionist Shawn Crahan is working hard on his own Orange Clown record label as well as planning the next release from his band To My Surprise. DJ Sid Wilson (aka DJ Starscream*) has a solo disc in the works. And last but not least, guitarist Mick Thomson is busy promoting the release of his new Ibanez M1T1 guitar. Indeed, it's been a busy time for the members of the Nine Man Mutant Metal Army, though don't expect to hear any new music from Slipknot until well into 2007. Recently we caught up with Thomson (between stops in his five-city guitar clinic which carried him from coast to coast) to get the inside word on what it's like to spend some time away from one of the most famous hard rock bands in the world. 

Hit Parader: How long does it take you to decompress once you get away from the day-to-day Slipknot routine?
Mick Thomson: It takes a little time. But you've got to realize that we live and breath that band for two years at a time. We began work on Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses late in 2003, hit the road in early 2004, and kept going right through the end of 2005. It’s exhausting, but we wouldn't have it any other way. That’s why when it does come to the end of a cycle, we need to really get away from it. We've all learned that the only way to keep Slipknot healthy is to give everyone room to get away and do their own thing for a while. When the time is right we naturally return home and get back to work on the next Slipknot project.
HP: Are you the kind of guy who can just hang around the house, taking out the trash and watching Oprah?
MICK: (Laughing) Yeah, I love Oprah. Actually I love to sleep, so usually I don't even get up until late in the afternoon... after her show's off the air. You know, for the first few days when you get home after a tour you don’t want to do anything, but slowly that begins to get old. After having non-stop action for two years, going to nothing “cold turkey” isn’t easy. What I like to do is find a nice balance where I have the time to pursue things that interest me away from music, yet still keep my feet wet in terms of playing. I have about 35 guitars laying around my living room, so even when I’m just sitting around watching a movie, there’s usually still a guitar in my hands*. 
HP: At this point, when do you imagine we'd see the next Slipknot album?
MICK: It’s hard to say at this point... though | can guarantee that their WILL be another album eventually. If I had to guess, I’d imagine we'd get serious about the next album later this year and hopefully have it out at some point in 2007. But with Slipknot you can never predict what's going to happen. The good thing is that we left the last tour in the best position we've ever been in. We got a lot of the crap out of the way that had gotten between us a few years ago— with different managers pulling us apart and always grabbing the money — and got back to what was really important... being friends and making great music.
HP: Do you have fears that the band might not get back together... as was the concern back in ‘03?
MICK: I don’t even think about that. People should never believe everything they hear. We're living at a time when some 12 year old with a computer can start running stories on the internet and dictate the direction of a band’s career. When you think about that, its kind of silly. I never got too caught up in all of that back in 2003, and I’m not even thinking about it now. I think we all learned a valuable lesson last time— and that was to always be aware of what we're saying and who we're saying it to. Sometimes a thing you say out of frustration or exhaustion gets blown way out of proportion.  That’s what happened last time... to some extent. I know everyone has their own projects, but when the time is right I know that we'll get back to where we belong. In fact I feel so good about where we stand as people and as a band it’s almost a little scary— I tend not to be a very “positive” person. 
HP: Speaking of personal projects, tell us about your new Ibanez signature guitar.
MICK: It's something I worked on very carefully with Ibanez... and it's something I’m very proud of. When we decided to do the M1T1, I requested that besides the design, I wanted each guitar to feature very specific pickups, strings and bridge — as well as coming tuned the way I like it... C# with a dropped B. The people at Ibanez were very willing to do whatever I asked, and the end result is something that I’m very pleased with. I went to the I factory and worked with them on some ' of the design specifications, and it ended up being exactly what I wanted.
HP: You did a Series of guitar clinics a few months ago in conjunction with the guitar's release. What motivated you to do that?
MICK:  It was a great way of both promoting the guitar and getting in touch with the fans. As big as Slipknot has become, sometimes you don't have the same kind of contact with the fans that I always enjoyed earlier in our career. I wanted to get out there and do something for people who were interested in playing guitar— not just the really advanced players, but people who were just starting out or even thinking about picking up the instrument. Maybe I could give a little advice or motivate them to really concentrate on their playing.
HP: Are you looking forward to putting your Slipknot mask back on?
MICK: There are two answers to that; in the symbolic way, yes I am because it means that the band is back at work and making music. But in a very direct way, I’m not. It’s hot, and it smells like crap after a few shows. There are nights when just the thought of putting it back on can turn my stomach a little bit. But I know that when the call comes, I'll be only too happy to put that mask back on.

Notes
James Roots: They actually did spell his name like this. 
DJ Starscream: According to one article, he's "DJ Starcream". 
"Still a guitar in my hands": See Joey's interview for "Modern Drummer". He did pretty much the same thing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matt Bellamy's How To Stay Sane As A Rock Star

"NO ONE TELLS US WHAT TO DO!" - MUSE are one of the world's most successful bands, thanks to the power of bananas — and outmaneuvering Madonna.

Slipknot's craziest member? Meet Sid Wilson (Unmasked & Unhinged)