(MUSE) ROCKTV Interview
c.2003
(During the introduction, which is in Italian, MATTHEW fidgets, lifts his foot to his nose. And smells one of his socks)
Q (noticing): What...we are on TV...I mean...you can relax, you can take this off. I mean, you can lie down, you can give him space (laughs) Okay, many reviewers have said that you are the next big thing in rock music, so how do you feel when someone says that? I mean, you will be in their opinion, the biggest rock band for, uh, in this century. So how do you feel when someone says that? And what does it mean for you to be a musician in this century?
CHRISTOPHER: I don't know. It's always pretty strange when people say those kind of things. I think, you know, that it's just like a bit of a random quote to come out and say, "You are the future of rock", you know? It's a pretty bold statement, you know? It's pretty strange when people say that about the music, you know? But I don't know. I mean, I think in the past, you know with the previous albums as well. I think like reviews and things have always been pretty mixed. I mean, they've been gone from being absolutely amazing to absolutely terrible, so...I don't know. It's always strange. I mean like reading that kind of stuff, it's just someone else's opinion on the band you know. Someone else's take on it, so..."
DOMINIC: It sounds like good journalism to me
(LAUGHTER)
MATTHEW: I don't know...I mean yeah, I agree with Chris, it's been like it's just people's opinions isn't it? I mean, I don't think um, I don't think we're necessarily the future, but um...I think that would be nice though (he sticks the mic in DOMINIC'S face)...go on, you say something.
Q: Would you say...I mean for you...which is the biggest band of this century?
MATTHEW: You mean like (blows cheeks out) you mean like the most important band? Or...
Q: Yeah
MATTHEW: I don't know really. I like lots of different bands for different reasons. I like Queens Of The Stone Age very much, I think they're great. I think what they do is interesting, especially the way they do collaborations with other people. I think that's pretty cool. (To DOMINIC) What do you think? What do you think is going on?
DOMINIC: Ummmm? What's happening at the moment? (Makes clicking noises) The old mental block kicks in when you try and think about bands, doesn't it?
(MATTHEW hands the mic back to the interviewer, who closes out the interviewer in Italian)


Comments
Post a Comment