Olaïve interview with Matthew Bellamy


c.1999

INTRO - GUITAR MUSIC (played by MATTHEW)
(Giggling - Note: I think Dominic is in the background)
Q: Hello, Matt from Muse
MATTHEW: Uh. Hello. I'm called Matt from Muse. 
Q: Do you remember the first song you were able to play on the guitar? 
MATT: Yeah. 
Q: Prove it
(MATTHEW plays a few chords)
MATTHEW: That's it
Q: What was it? 
MATTHEW: Uhhh...what was it? It's that one that goes...(plays a few more bars)...what's his name? Do you know his name? Him, anyway. 
Q: If you want to impress him, what do you play? 
MATTHEW: Oh..uh...it's too cold...
(Plays Flamenco sounding guitar)
Q: What was it? 
MATTHEW: A couple of our ????
Q: If you want to seduce a girl, what do you play? 
MATTHEW: (mumbles) I'd...oh, no... (louder) My nails...I've no nails, but it would be, uh...this one 
(More Spanish guitar)
MATTHEW: Something like that. I'm too cold to play it.
Q: The last time we saw each other, you admitted to me that you love Jeff Buckley—if you were to pay tribute to him...
MATTHEW: Uhh
(PLAYS a few chords)
MATTHEW: 'Grace'
Q: The song that sums up your life? 
MATTHEW: Uh...(plays)...there you go. Tom Waits. 
(Plays a bit more in the background)
Q: Can you play the opposite of Muse? Something that would be the opposite side of Muse? 
(MATTHEW plays rapid guitar music, it sounds like Status Quo, 'Rockin' All Over The World')
MATTHEW: That's the absolute opposite. 
Q: Of all artists, which is the song you find yourself playing for your own enjoyment?
MATTHEW: Out of pleasure? Just fun or?
Q: Yeah
(PLAYS a few random chords)
Q: What is that one?
MATTHEW (giggling): I don't know. I just made it up.
Q: So, if you had a minute to make me go and buy a Muse album, what do you play? 
MATTHEW: Shit...
(LAUGHTER)
MATTHEW: I don't know...can't do it...
(PLAYS)
Q: Thank you, and the guitar is magic. 
MATTHEW: Uh...possibly, yeah....could be. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"NO ONE TELLS US WHAT TO DO!" - MUSE are one of the world's most successful bands, thanks to the power of bananas — and outmaneuvering Madonna.

Slipknot's craziest member? Meet Sid Wilson (Unmasked & Unhinged)

(MUSE) Matt Bellamy: the ONLY guitar interview!