(MUSE) Werchter Festival Interview - July 2001


MTV
1st July 2001 

JOANNE: We're here with Muse. It's really nice to have you here. Especially outdoors in the fresh air at a festival, 'cos you...you are often described as a 'live band', that really happens live. 
MATTHEW (looks at DOMINIC): Uh yeah...yeah...I love...I love playing live. I think...I think it's the main reason I got in a band. Wasn't it?
DOMINIC: It was, yeah. I think we try and play as much as possible, I mean that is where you get the best feeling out of what you are doing is playing live, I think.
JOANNE: People are surprised by your voice, because it is much like an instrument, the way you...
MATTHEW: I think I've got a girls voice. I mean when I'm singing, I can sing really high and stuff, so I always liked doing that, and it's something I was never sure about whether I should do it in the band or not, I used to like, sing low and stuff, but then I thought, fuck it. I thought like, you know, whatever, just go and do it. Cuz I'm not really embarrassed you know, anymore about it, and it...and....and I feel a bit more comfortable singing in that range really. 
JOANNE: Well, it's interesting. I heard a comment earlier on being in front of the stage, and somebody said, 'Oh, I always thought that that was his guitar." You know, it was a real screech, which is quite nice, which is why I used the word 'instrument', from such a tiny guy, it's quite impressive. 
MATTHEW (laughs - he can't answer)
JOANNE (cont): Isn't it, Dom? 
DOMINIC: It's very impressive you know. Very, very impressive. 
JOANNE: Do you sing along too sometimes?
DOMINIC: I don't actually sing live. I just sort of try and do some silly banter in between songs. Thing is, Matt's voice, he got a picture taken of his vocal cords once, and the doctor actually said they looked like women's vocal cords.
MATTHEW: Yeah, so I think I'm a slight mix maybe. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"NO ONE TELLS US WHAT TO DO!" - MUSE are one of the world's most successful bands, thanks to the power of bananas — and outmaneuvering Madonna.

Slipknot's craziest member? Meet Sid Wilson (Unmasked & Unhinged)

(MUSE) Matt Bellamy: the ONLY guitar interview!