GLASTONBURY: WHO WILL WIN?
Q Magazine
July 2010 (Issue no 105)
Forget the World Cup: the big contest of the summer will be the Glasto smackdown between headliners U2 and Muse...
ADAM CLAYTON (U2)
"Muse are great. They opened some American shows for us and it was great to see on the rise like that. It was a tight operation back then so I'm sure it's only got stronger. I just don't know who'll come out on top. Muse will definitely give us a run for our money"
VERDICT: DRAW
WAYNE COYNE (THE FLAMING LIPS)
"Muse have certain seriousness and a pompousness, like, We are art. U2 have had phases like that but now they're just doing their thing with a little more humility. I like more of U2's songs and the Edge is an amazing guitarist, so it's U2 for me. I believe we're actually up against U2, but I'm not too worried, I hope people will still watch us, or at least, watch the first half".
VERDICT: U2
MAT HORNE (GAVIN AND STACEY STAR)
"Muse will win. The last time I saw them I ended up having to leave the arena because it was simply too intense. I did mention this to Dominic Howard when I met him at an awards ceremony, but I'm not sure he saw it for the compliment it was intended as. To be honest, they win before they've played because Matt Bellamy's got a see-through piano"
VERDICT: MUSE
ZANE LOWE (RADIO 1 PRESENTER)
"It's just an impossible question to answer. Each headliner will bring music for memories with them to the Pyramid. So I'll side step the main stage equation all together and say Jamie T on John Peel, Saturday Night"
VERDICT: DRAW
ANA MATRONIC (SCISSOR SISTERS)
"They both have fans that reach far and wide and I don't want to piss any of them off, but I do wonder if the stage will be big enough for U2. Muse have got the Saturday slot too, and there's something magical about that slot, so Muse probably have the advantage"
VERDICT: MUSE
JO WHILEY
"A Glastonbury performance by U2 is long overdue, but then maybe they were biding their time so they could play on an auspicious occasion. The lead singer is a bit of a show off and they do quite enjoy a party so it's entirely right that they make their debut at Glastonbury headlining the Pyramid stage. I can tell you now that they will pull out all the stops to deliver the most brilliant set and make it a night to remember. Having been so exclusive in the past they'll have something to prove. They're not a band who do anything half-heartedly, and I'm confident that U2 at Glasto will be one of the greatest Glastonbury moments ever".
VERDICT: U2
SHAKIRA
"I don't know. I'm friends with Bono and I sing Muse songs in the shower. They're both amazing, they both put on great shows and I'm excited for both of them, I'm going to have to say it'll be a draw".
VERDICT: DRAW
SNOOP DOGG
"I've got to go with my co-star in Bruno, my main man Bono, and say that U2 is going to represent. Shout to Muse, but U2 got his one on lock".
VERDICT: U2
NEIL TENNANT
"Stadium rock is not really my area, so I don't think it would be an educated opinion. Shirley Bassey would wipe the floor with both of them."
VERDICT: DRAW
KEVIN BACON (ACTOR)
"Muse will give U2 a run for their money. That spacey Queen-type rock will work perfectly at an event like Glastonbury. But I have to root for U2. My teenage son is a hardcore punk and I took him to see them in Anaheim, California. That's like going to see them at Disneyland so you can imagine he was reticent to say the least. But afterwards, he said, You know, that was really powerful. If they can convince a teenager who's into bands called Anal Cunt then they can convince anyone. Muse will have a big sound. But U2 will blow the farm away."
VERDICT: U2

Comments
Post a Comment