Slipknot interview - Reading Festival, August 2000 (Transcription)

August 2000

Interviewer is Jody Thompson

JODY: I'm here with Joey and Jim from Slipknot. Hi guys. 
JOEY: Hullo
JIM: Hello.
JODY: How does it feel to be playing Reading Festival? The last day, arguably the best festival in the UK this year?
JOEY: A dream come true, literally. I mean, we're from America, so we have always seen it on TV. It's been like a big thing. You know, America always televises it, and MTV covers it, so we've always known about it. So it's a dream come true to play here actually. 
JODY: And what's it like to actually be above the bill of other bands like Rage Against The Machine, who are usually way up there in The States?
JIM: That's uh, kind of a freaky thing. You know, it's weird playing after a band like Rage. I mean, they have accomplished so much, and they have done so many things, you know, and they've got great fuckin' records out, so it's hard to imagine playing after a band like that, you know, but we're going to have to step it up and do this though.
JOEY (nods): That's right. 
JODY: I mean, has it always been important for you to become successful in Britain, because it really does seem to be taking off now.
JIM: Yeah, I mean it's important to be successful everywhere, you know. I mean...why not?
JOEY: You know, a lot of American bands kind of like diss...you know...they don't necessarily like come over here that much, they kind of like disregard the UK and the fact is, a kid buys a record over here, he deserves to see us just as much as a kid in America. Anyway, it's important. It's world domination for this band. No other way. 
JODY: What do you think of the Stereophonics, who are headlining today? 
JIM (pause): Uhhh. I don't know. I don't know anythin' about 'em. 
JOEY: Can't relate to that. Don't know.
JODY: Have you actually heard their stuff?
(They look at each other)
JOEY: Yeah. I got really tired after I heard it. I had to go to bed last night on the bus. I was in the bed by twelve o'clock. I'm never in the bed by twelve o'clock. No offence.  
JODY: Apparently Tom Jones might be joining them on the stage. Anybody you are interested in, either?
JOEY: Who the hell is Tom Jones? I think my grandma listens to that dude. 
(JOEY can be heard audibly sighing)
JODY: So what do you want to do with Slipknot apart from world domination, is there a big plan?
(She holds the mic to Jim for a second, who remains silent)
JOEY: Everything is included in the "World Domination Plan"
JODY: And, uh, does that include...
JOEY: Just come up and monitor us for sixty minutes, then you got some stuff to work out, you'll come to your own conclusion. 
JODY: Are you ever going to drop the masks? 
(JIM shakes his head silently)
JODY: Why not?
JIM (after a few seconds): Why?
JOEY: The fans don't want to see us any other way.
JODY: You reckon? 
JIM: Yeah. Besides, we're all burn victims. 
(JODY laughs)
JOEY: Yeah.
JODY: All right, well have a fantastic gig tonight, I'll be out the front. A lot of other people are. Oh, and by the way, did you hear, Oasis only sold fourteen t-shirts today, and you sold four and a half thousand. How does that feel?
JOEY: We're not like those guys(?) (or else "We don't like those guys")
JIM: Are they here?
JODY: Uh...they were here yesterday...no, Friday I think...you wanna fight them? 
JOEY (gives the interviewer a kiss): Yeah, we do... 
JODY: Thank you very much...can I have one from you?
(JIM licks her cheek)...thank you very much...Slipknot, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(MUSE) Matt Bellamy: the ONLY guitar interview!

Corey Taylor On Why Craig Jones Doesn't Speak (Transcription)

Muse summer single announced