Muse Interview - Ilosaarirock Festival 2002
MTV
c. July 2002
MATTHEW: How are you?
Q: I'm fine thanks. That's normally my opening line. But thanks for sorting that out. Um...is he all right?
(CHRISTOPHER is not at the interview, so a huge blue board has been substituted for him and put in the chair)
MATTHEW: Yeah, he's all right, you know. He's a bit quiet today.
DOMINIC: Yeah, he's just a little bit...cold blue.
Q: Truth is, he's never looked better.
(CONCERT FOOTAGE - 'PLUG IN BABY')
Q: Now you did...you auctioned your frequent flyer card out in some War Child auction. What was that about, do you remember?
MATTHEW: Uhh...I was a little bit drunk, and I was hanging around...I don't normally go to awards shows. We went to the NME...some party or something, and some NME guy was going around, taking bits from people in bands, and it was supposed to be for charity or something, and I sort of gave him my card. Actually, I'm quite gutted actually, because that card...I can use that card to get upgrades to Business Class you know, and now I can't. So I'm stuck in Economy for the next fucking...for the next when we're flying to Japan and stuff.
(CONCERT FOOTAGE)
Q: Are you finding that people are not actually showing up for your gigs, now that you have your live DVD out? You still finding people...like the real thing?
MATTHEW: Uh, well...festivals...I think everyone has bought a ticket already, so it's too late for them to turn back (laughs) Until we play a club gig, I don't think we'll know. But yeah, all the tour's we done this year...I think we've been playing in a crowded...better than ever...it always seems to be on the increase what we're doing really, it seems to gradually be getting better. I don't think we've ever really broken through to the mainstream anywhere really, but we've gradually built up quite a strong alternative sort of following, you know.
Q: Now, your DVD was actually shown on the big screen in the cinemas, did you go and see it?
DOMINIC: I saw a bit of one. Um, cos we kind of did a few screens...
Q: You walked out of it?
DOMINIC: Yeaahhh (laughs)
Q: 'This is rubbish'
DOMINIC: 'This is crap', so I left (laughs)
Q: Now, have you got any other ambition, sort of on the big screen? Would you like to work, for instance with a soundtrack or something like that? Do you like sort of, the visual aspect of your work?
MATTHEW: Uh, I think this year we've learned a lot more about that side of thing, the whole film making process. We've learned about...we bought some equipment so we can edit stuff ourselves. In fact, we made a video ourselves, Dead Star, which is a really bad video, but we made it, It cost like £500 quid or something, which is basically just a few fags and drink anyway...we got our mate to film it using our own little cameras, and then we edited it ourselves. But I think uh, maybe anything what I've learned is that it's better to collaborate with professionals (laughs)
(Concert footage fade out)

Comments
Post a Comment